Thursday, April 01, 2010

Off the wagon


I'm taking a break from the vegetarianism to use up some of the kosher chicken stock that we have in the freezer. This stuff is expensive and Jacob worked so hard on it that I don't want it to go to waste.

So? What to do? Matzo ball soup made with homemade schmaltz. I only had one piece of the gribness. Jacob burned his tongue eating all the rest. I am using the recipe I used last year for my successful Seder. (Someone remind me why it seemed OK to host my very first Seder with my in-laws while trying to finish up my Master's Degree and plan a wedding.) So, here's hoping a little extra animal fat in my diet will be worth it.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Is gribness is good as it is made out to be? My husband is really fascinated by the idea, but neither of us have ever had it.

PrincessMax said...

Oh my goodness, yes.

Katherine said...

Oooh, so I followed your link to your post from last year, and in case no one has filled you in in the meantime... the orange thing.

The story goes, when they began to ordain women as rabbis, someone said, "A woman belongs on the bimah as much as an orange belongs on the seder plate."

So some nice people started putting an orange on the seder plate.