Sunday, December 07, 2008

Mac and Cheese



Someone brought Kraft Macaroni and Cheese that had salsa mixed in it for church potluck tonight.

This, more than anything else, makes me love my church tonight.

When we first started having dinner every Sunday, we brought food creations: soups from our moms' recipes, holiday casseroles, fresh-baked bread. We talked self-consciously about how the week had felt to our souls or stayed in party chit-chat mode. "So, where do you live?"

But someone brought Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with salsa mixed in.

That is someone's comfort food.

That is a dish someone makes when work was awful and the bus broke down on the return commute and it's fucking cold outside.

That dish is home.

And someone brought it to church.

Someone didn't care whether or not the rest of us would be impressed by what s/he brought. Someone didn't worry that it wasn't fancy enough to offer to other people. Someone just made what was easy and offered comfort and shared it with the rest of us.

This is why I love my church.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I really craved macaroni and cheese after this post.

This makes me feel OK about bags of baby carrots on the pot luck table.

PrincessMax said...

That's been you? :-)

Rachel said...

Brought with love and concern for everyone's colon health

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you like the fabric scraps you order! I hope you can use them, I hated to see them just sitting there. Enjoy them, happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Reeb, you know I love me some community...

But I won't lie... a mac and cheese/salsa mixture kinda makes me feel all gross inside.