Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Math 204

FFor today, at least, I like my calculus class. Without it, I wouldn't have remembered how much satisfaction I got in my childhood from the precision of writing out the homework assignment.

pg. 17 #1-11 odd, 65, 67, 69, 71, 81 and 82
pg. 32 #1-35 odd, 43-49 odd, 61, 62

There are definite rules and that appeals to me. Math teachers never write:

PGE 32 - 1-35 and 43-49, the odd ones, plus 61 and 62.

It's always the same.

Like Holden Caulfield, I like things that are always the same.

But other than that bright spot of reminiscence, though, I was woefully unprepared for school to start. I had no notebook, no ID, no textbook, no calculator. Why didn't it occur to me sometime before I entered the doors of the school tonight at 5:02 that I might need any of those four things at some point during the first session of my two-hour class? Actually, I did know that I needed the ID because by the time I finished the 2 and a half hour wait to register last week, the ID station was closed.

When did I alluvasudden turn into one of those students. I know it's been almost 8 years since I've been on the other side of the desk but did I really lose all track of the student mindset? I even look like one of those students in my black hoodie, jeans, converse-style shoes and backpack.

I was a good and prepared student once.

Of course, I was also once a bad and often ill-prepared student who got by on innate intelligence but had absolutely no discipline.

Here's hoping I'll be the latter kind of successful again, because I've not started off well if I want to be the former.

No comments: