Wednesday, July 20, 2005

ART Show

I just got a CD full of images from our ART show at The Exchange in April. I wrote about it here but I thought I'd share some of them with you, so you could see what kinds of creative re-use we can make from garbage here on the island.

The first three images are of the Dharma bowls I made. They were a fairly big hit. Holly wants to trade some chai for one. My first barter. Awww.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Jeff makes these boxes from old record albums. It's an old family pattern. In fact, his sister brought the craft, using old greeting cards to a "hooley" that a mutual friend was having as her shared talent. It was at that party that Jeff first admired me, even though I don't remember that he was there at all. :-)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A real life prize goes to the first person who is not my dad but who comments on this blog and correctly identifies the garbage being re-used as art in the photo below. It'll be a good prize, I promise.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Our friend Rachel is a super-quilter. Almost all of the fabric in this baby set that she made for her own Baby Owen was brought in to the Exchange by people that couldn't use it.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There are several giant art installations on permanent display at the Exchange. This head was made by our friend Ian, who is also a glassblower and has two beautifully fey little girls. Try to identify all of the elements and what they used to be.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Remember garbage made into art can reform our minds if we let it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your contest is stupid and the rules are discriminatory. If I had time I'd report you to the Dumb and Unfair Contest Commission.
Love, the dad

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I know that they are, but I don't what they are called. I usually see them on oil / vinegar bottles, used in cooking, but any container could use them.

Do I win?

PrincessMax said...

I don't know; that's not quite it. :-) They do not have any use after their first function. They exist purely to become garbage. Keep trying, Al.

And, Dad, Mr. Smartypants, do you know the answer? If you do, I think enough time has passed that you can guess if you'd like. I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the Dumb and Unfair Contest Commission.

Anonymous said...

of course I know but forget it. you will next be hearing from the DUCC. love, mister smartypants (aka dad)

PrincessMax said...

I've decided that since no one else is up to the challenge of my contest, that Al is the winner by default. See what good things you get when you just show up?

So, Al, I'll be contacting you soon for your address to send you your very own prize straight from the Orcas Island dump. It'll be cool, I promise.

Oh, those white, interlocked plastic things are the seal on the orange juice and milk half-gallons that you pull out and normally throw away after it's one use.