Friday, April 15, 2005

It's Friday Harbor, but Sunday's a coming

I am blogging to you from a real live internet cafe, which is a first for me. I am in Friday Harbor, which is on San Juan Island and is the county seat. I went to traffic court today to see if I could get the equivalent to court supervision for my speeding ticket and I'm pleased to tell you that it was a success. It was a free ferry ride since I just walked on and left my car on Orcas. I didn't even have to see the judge; he looked at my application for a "deferred finding" while still in chambers and granted it. I paid $100 and if I don't get caught speeding again in the next year, the ticket will not go on my permanent record, so my insurance will not be affected. Woohoo!

I have been ass-on-the-couch sick for Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday of this week and have gotten nothing done. I think about what that would have meant for my old life and my head hurts just thinking about the amount of work that having a substitute in my classroom would have required. Here, I had a little difficulty finding someone to work for me at The Exchange on Wednesday, but otherwise was allowed to live life on the couch. I went over to Jeff's on Monday night and camped out there for the duration because he has TV and fed me. I got back to my house on Thursday morning and had only one phone message to return. Of course, Thursday afternoon there were three. I guess that when one disappears on the island, three weekdays is about all you get before people start wondering where you are.

I'm in the process of looking for a new job for the summer. I have a lead at Shearwater Adventures to work the desk at the storefront, which involves scheduling kayak trips for tourists, doing some of the paperwork and communicating with the guides on the mornings of the trips and doing basic retail. I'm fairly confident that this is definite although I don't know what I'll get paid or how many hours are available. I'd like to do about 20 and then wait tables somewhere two nights a week. I'd like to be able to tell places that I have experience once I move back for grad school and here is as low-key of a place to learn as anywhere else. I don't think that I told you that I turned down the job writing grants at the Funhouse. They wanted a two-year commitment, but I think they were willing to take a chance on me if there was a possibility that I would be here past 6 months but I'm getting pretty sure that I'll be moving to Chicago in the Fall. I felt good that both of the women that interviewed me said that they were impressed by the interview.

Well, I think that's all the mundane news that's fit to print right now. I've still got two more hours to kill until the ferry takes me back, though, so I may think of something else. :-)

No comments: